Sunday, September 30, 2012

Set Fire to the Rain 2, Ch. 19 "How Do I Love Thee?"


This fanfiction is intended for mature readers due to the vivid depiction of a consensual adult relationship.  The setting is First Season, post-The Preacher.  I am not an expert on Victorian poets or poetry in general, so just sit back and enjoy the stanzas o’ love, and don’t worry about the particulars. 

ljljljljlj

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.*

The edge of Kitty’s warm bed dipped low and she was abruptly wrested from sleep, rolling toward the bulky disturbance.  Groaning, she grimaced at the bright light and attempted to block out the offending noonday sun with an arm thrown across her eyes.  A husky, masculine voice drawled, “Mornin’, Sunshine.”

Her eyes shot open when she suddenly recalled what she and the owner of that familiar voice had been doing late last night in the intoxicating light of the full moon, when she’d been drunk with passion for the want of him.  Memories of intimate kisses hungrily given and rapturously accepted rushed over her and made her dizzy just thinking about it. 

And mortified.  Quick as a flash, Kitty yanked the cotton sheet over her head before Matt could see her face turn scarlet.  Oh, lordy, lordy, the wanton things that she had done only hours ago in the seductive dark of night made her blush now in the cold light of day.  She felt the bed shake rhythmically and she realized he was chuckling.  Why, the nerve of that man!

Sapphire blue eyes and riotous, flaming curls peaked over the top of the sheet.  “Dammit, Matt Dillon, don’t you dare laugh.”  Her incensed voice came out muffled beneath the covers.

Matt suddenly wore his best poker face.  “I’m not, honest-to-Pete…  Let me see you.”  He reached up and tugged the sheet off her face.  “Much better.”

She eyed him warily, her cheeks still burning. 

The corners of his mouth twitched the tiniest bit.  “I don’t know that I’ve ever seen you embarrassed before.”

“This is not funny, Matt.”

“I know, honey.”  He leaned over and kissed her forehead, then sat back and contritely took her hand.  “I’m sorry.”

She squeezed his fingers and looked anywhere but at his eyes.  Kitty couldn’t shake the heated memory of his generous mouth… kissing …ravishing…  Oh my… 

Matt opened her hand and reverently kissed her palm.  His soft lips brushed her sensitive skin and made her shiver as he kissed the pads of each of her fingers one at a time.  His lips trailed down her inner arm to its crook, where his mouth suckled the soft, delicate skin there until he’d raised prickly gooseflesh on her entire body.  He murmured between kisses, “Don’t be embarrassed, Kitty.  You know I can’t ever get enough of you.”

Her breath was shallow in her chest and she started to protest, “Matt…”

But he stopped her with a lingering, wet kiss to her lips, saying “I’ll visit you again when I can.”  He gazed hotly into her eyes and kissed her once again, deeper this time.  “Would you like that?”

She looked down at their entwined hands lying in her lap and whispered breathlessly, “Yes, Matt, I want you to come back.”

“I’d better go now.”  His lazy, amorous gaze gave way to a small, mischievous grin.  “I think Doc might be getting suspicious.”

Kitty watched as Matt slipped back out her bedroom door, and she fell heavily back against the fluffy pillows, sighing as she wondered when they’d manage to be alone together again.  She could feel her face flushing hot like a house afire at the mere prospect…

tbc

*Elizabeth Barrett Browning

ljljljljlj

No comments:

Post a Comment