Monday, February 25, 2013

Deliver Us from Evil, Ch. 7 "Orphan Train"


Virgil’s eyes had a faraway look as he spoke.  “Celia and I adopted Lillie Mae off the orphan train that came through here six months ago, Kitty.”

Kitty’s mouth dropped open in surprise.  “Orphan train?”  She didn’t know what she’d been expecting, but it hadn’t been that.

“You know, the trains they send out here full a’ orphans and street children from New York City?  The Children’s Aid Society is tryin’ to find good people in the country to take them in.  To give them a new start in life.”

Kitty’s expression softened when she realized what the child must have been through.  “Oh, Virgil, I had no idea.  I mean, I’ve heard of the trains, but I didn’t know you and Celia had taken in an orphan.”
“Truth be told, Kitty, she’s not a true orphan.”

She frowned.  “What do you mean?”

“The Children’s Aid lady who was travelin’ with them told me Lillie Mae was found sleepin’ in a doorway in the dead a’ winter.  Beggin’ for pennies from strangers.”  His voice broke and he glanced out the window behind him for a moment before he continued.  “Eatin’… outta garbage cans.  Her mother had another baby on the way and had turned Lillie Mae and her older sister outta the house ‘cause there wasn’t room or food enough for all of ‘em.   Her older sister turned to prostitution to support herself.  The lady said a lot of the older girls do…”

Kitty hugged her knees to her chest, intently staring down at the tousled sheets, and asked quietly, “Where is her sister?”

“We don’t know.  The mother signed over her parental rights so that Lillie Mae could come west and find a new home.  But Geneva disappeared.  They don’t know what’s become of her.  But there are literally thousands of children on those big city streets, Kitty.  It’s easy for a young girl to get lost in a crowd.”

Her brow was knitted in consternation.  “Oh, I know how easy it is.  I honestly do, Virgil.”  She took a deep breath.  “How did she take Celia’s death?”

“I’ll tell you the truth.  I don’t rightly know.  She’s become very quiet and reserved.  She keeps to herself most of the time.  I know she misses Celia.  But it’s just one more loss in her life.”
“What about school?”

“We tried sendin’ her to school in town, but she didn’t like it one bit.  Said the kids…made fun of her cause she was an orphan.”  He raked his fingers through his hair restlessly.  “‘Bad blood’ they’d whisper.   Celia started teachin’ her here at home.” 

“Virgil, she looks like a wild Indian.”  Kitty bit her lip.  “Who’s taking care of her?”

“Well, that’s the problem right there.  Celia always took care of her before, gave her a bath and such.”  His expression was helpless.  “But she won’t let me or Isom come near her to bathe her or fix her hair.”

“Well, do you blame her much, Virgil?  She’s what?  Six?  She’s a little girl.  And you’re a man.”

“No, but what else can I do?”  He held his hands out in supplication.  “And we don’t rightly know exactly how old Lillie Mae is.  She doesn’t even know when her birthday is.”

“Oh, Virgil.”  Kitty’s heart ached for this little girl who’d never had a real childhood.  She laid a hand in the center of her chest, and realized with a start she was actually tender from where the Indian Kotori had shoved her down the day before. 

Virgil’s next words came out in a rush, before he lost his courage.  “Lillie Mae needs a woman’s touch, Kitty.  Could you try and do somethin’ with her while you’re here?  She sure does need a good bath, I’ll tell ya’.   And she looks like she’s taken a real shine to you.”

Kitty smiled kindly.  “Of course, Virgil, you know I’d be glad to.  Could you arrange for a tub and some hot water?  I’ll do the rest.”

Relief flooded his features.  “Oh, Miss Kitty, I’d be much obliged.  I surely would.  I’ll do anything you ask me to.  This child has known nothing but loss and deprivation her whole life.  I wanna change that, but with Celia gone, it’s been difficult.”

“I don’t know how much help I can be, Virgil, but…”  She gave him a crooked smile.  “…at the very least I can get her clean for you.”

“That’s a start, Kitty.”  He shyly grinned from his seat in front of the window.

Kitty tugged her sheet higher and asked sweetly, “Can you send me that hot water, now?  I’d really like to get cleaned up myself.  It was an awful long day yesterday.” 

Virgil’s cheeks flushed pink and he jumped up from the chair, realizing she was waiting on him to take his leave.  He was in a lady’s bedroom, and she was en dĂ©shabillĂ©, for goodness sake. 

A sudden look of worry crossed Kitty’s face.  “And do you think we could send a wire to Matt in Hays City this morning, too?  He should be arriving sometime today, and I want to warn him about those gunrunners looking for him.”

“Of course, I will be happy to take care of your bathwater right away.  Oh, and I already sent that telegram early this morning.  You were exhausted, and I didn’t want to wake you.”

“Oh, thank you, Virgil.  And I’ll tend to little Miss Lillie Mae as soon as I’m done.  Deal?”

“Deal.”  Virgil Ware gave Kitty Russell one last bashful look and pulled the door shut the door behind him.

tbc

Author’s Note:  An excellent source of information on The Children’s Aid Society Orphan Trains that transported approximately 100,000 New York City children to homes out west from the 1850’s through 1929 is the PBS documentary, American Experience: The Orphan Trains, c1995, available through Netflix.

ljljljljlj

No comments:

Post a Comment