Monday, February 25, 2013

Deliver Us from Evil, Ch. 5 "Restoreth My Soul"


The racial and social appellations employed in this fictional story are meant to reflect the historical period in which the narrative takes placeNo bigotry or bias is intended by the author.

Someone shook Kitty’s shoulder as she lay on the hard, unforgiving ground.  Slowly she opened her eyes, squinting against the late afternoon sunlight slanting through the trees.  Virgil Ware’s face apprehensively gazed down at her.  “Kitty, can you hear me?  Are you alright?”  He was crouching beside her, where she’d apparently been lying since she fainted.

She laid her hand on her forehead and closed her eyes again for a moment, murmuring quietly, “I think so...”  Cautiously raising up on her elbows, she scanned her surroundings uneasily.  “Where are the others?”

“Others?”  His voice sounded alarmed.  “Someone else was with you?  Where’s Matt?”

“Oh,” she replied, chagrined.  “Matt didn’t come.  Virgil, I’m so glad you’re here!  I…I made the trip by myself.”

“Alone?”  Virgil’s expression changed to dismay.  “Kitty, that’s dangerous.  You shouldn’t have come…”

“Yeah, Virgil, I know, I know.  Matt is gonna kill me when he hears what happened.  He didn’t want me coming by myself either.”

“But you said there were others…”  His eyes anxiously strayed to her ripped bodice, and she hurried to tug it modestly closed without benefit of the buttons that Carter Graves had torn off.  She tried to sit up, but she felt dizzy.  Virgil put his arm around her shoulders to support her. 

Squinting against the fading sunlight, her eyes searched for the spot where she had watched Titus Crow die a horrible death.  His corpse was not there.  “He’s gone!” she exclaimed.  “They’re all gone…”

“Who, Kitty?  Did they hurt you?” He quickly glanced over her body, searching for injuries.

“No, not really.”  She gingerly touched the back of her tender skull where the half-breed had nearly torn her hair out by the roots.  “Nothing permanent anyhow.”

“Who were they?” he repeated anxiously.

“Carter Groves seemed to be the leader of the three.”

“Carter Groves?  He’s a gunrunner.  Sells Spencer repeating rifles to the Indians.”

Kitty continued, “Titus Crow was the one they killed.  He was a half-breed Indian.  The full-blooded Indian was the one who killed him.  Name of… Kotori, I think it was.”  Kitty’s face paled and her blue eyes widened as she looked at her friend.  “Oh, Virgil, it was so awful.  I’ve never seen anything like it.”  Her eyes filled with tears, and she wrapped her arms around Virgil’s neck.  Gently he held her, patting her back comfortingly.  When at last her shivering had stopped and she released him, he softly questioned her, “What did they want, Kitty?”

She wiped a stray tear with the back of her hand.  “I don’t think they really wanted me.  That’s why they left me here, I suppose.”  Suddenly she remembered something they’d said, and she exclaimed excitedly, “They were after Matt!  We’ve got to warn him, Virgil!”

“Matt?”  Virgil sat on the ground beside her.

“Yes, when they were arguing, Titus Crow said that Matt was supposed to be with me.  They knew our plans, and he was angry when they found out I was by myself.”

“Maybe they wanted Matt out of the way.  He’s kept the gunrunners out of this part of the countryside for quite a while now.  With the U.S. Marshal out of the way, they’d be able to make a lot more money.”

Kitty’s brows knitted together fretfully.  “Shouldn’t we wire him in Hays?  That’s where he’s headed.  He should be there in another day or so.  We need to warn him!”

He reassured her, “I’ll send Matt a wire when I go to Cimarron.”

“Virgil, I remember something else.”  She touched his arm anxiously.  “They said Carter Groves’ friend worked for Western Union.  That’s how they knew we were traveling today.  The telegraph operator either in Dodge or in Cimarron must’ve told him about the wire we sent informing you we were coming.”

“That explains a lot.”  He glanced down at her hand on his sleeve, then back up into her eyes.  “I’ll look into the matter, for sure.  I’ll find out who the operators were on both ends of that wire.  We’ll get to the bottom of this.”

Suddenly remembering Matt’s words about Virgil being sweet on her, she pulled her hand away self-consciously.  She murmured quietly, “Oh, Virgil, I hope Matt’s alright.”

“Well, I think he’s fine because he’s far away from here.  If he’d been with you, it might have been a different story altogether.”

She traced a well-manicured fingernail over a tall blade of grass.  “So it’s a good thing he changed his plans and wouldn’t come with me, huh?”

He watched her, intuiting her initial disappointment that Matt hadn’t accompanied her.  “Yeah, Kitty, it is.  But what we need to do now is get you to my house so you can get rested up plus have some of Isom’s fine home cooking.  How’s that sound?”

“Wonderful, Virgil.”  She sighed deeply.  “That sounds just wonderful.”

Standing, he extended his hand.  She accepted it, but when she rose to her feet, her head began to swim and she felt faint again.  “Oh…” she whispered, as her knees started to buckle. 

“Kitty…!” Virgil exclaimed as he caught her in his arms. 

“I’m alright, really…” she murmured.  “I think I just got up too quickly.”

“Well, I’m not taking any chances.  You’re riding with me.  We need to get you back to the house quickly.  I may wire Doc Adams to come take a look at you.”

“Oh, Virgil, don’t do that.  I’m fine, really.  He was going on a fishing trip for a couple of days.  I don’t want to interrupt him.  See, I’m standing up by myself now.  You can let go of me, I promise.”

Virgil eyed her warily.  “Well, alright, you stand right here and don’t move.  I’ll get the horses.  But you’re still riding with me.  I won’t have you fainting and falling off the horse.  Matt would never forgive me if I let you break your neck.”  He raised a brow at her drily.

“Okay, I’ll stand right here.  I can’t wait to get back to the house.  It seems like it’s been ages since I’ve been there.”

Virgil brought the horses over and mounted his stallion.  He reached down and pulled her up by the hand effortlessly to ride in front of him, locking one arm securely around her slim waist.  He replied, “It’s been a whole year.  Way too long in my opinion, too.”

Kitty patted his hand contentedly and settled against her friend comfortably.  She had to admit, she was exhausted and her head was pounding.  She wanted nothing more than a bath and a soft bed.  She smiled.  “I can’t wait to see Isom and Big Sam.  How are they doing?”

He spurred his horse and they headed downriver, in the direction of the ranch house.  “Just fine, Miss Kitty, and they will be very happy indeed to see you, I assure you.”

She looked down at Virgil’s strong hands holding the reins.  She said quietly, “I hope Matt is able to join us soon.  I miss him already.”

“I know you do, Kitty.  I’m sure he’ll be here as soon as he’s able.”  Virgil cleared his throat.  “And…uh…I have someone I’d like you to meet.”

“Oh?” she asked curiously.

“Yes…”

“Well, who is it?”

“Uh… Her name is Miss Lillie Mae.”

“Oh!” Kitty answered happily.  “I can’t wait to meet her, Virgil.”

“I can’t wait for you to meet her, Miss Kitty.”  He paused, and she was sure he was smiling in spite of the fact that she was unable to see his face.  “I surely can’t.”

tbc

ljljljljlj



No comments:

Post a Comment