Saturday, September 29, 2012

Set Fire to the Rain 2, Ch. 12 "Convalescence"


This fanfiction is intended for mature readers due to the vivid depiction of a consensual adult relationship.  The setting is First Season, post-The Preacher.  Do NOT attempt the patient care described in this chapter without first attending medical school or at the very least taking a correspondence course in practical nursing.

ljljljljlj

Matt carefully fluffed Kitty’s pillows behind her back and smoothed a napkin under her chin so he wouldn’t drip steaming hot chicken soup on her.

“You made this?” Kitty croaked.

One corner of his mouth turned down as he answered dryly, “I wish I could say I did.”  He dipped up a spoonful, blew on it for a few seconds, and then held it gingerly to her mouth.  “But nope.”

Grimacing a bit, she swallowed painfully.  “Doc made it??”  At the very idea, her expression turned incredulous.

“Nope.  Him neither.”

She coughed when a bite started to go down the wrong way.  “Then who?”

“Isom...   Isom Dewey.”  He carefully scraped the bottom of the spoon over the edge of the bowl to catch the drips before giving her another bite.  “Seems you’ve inherited more than a ranch.  You’ve got a faithful employee to go with it.”

“He cooked this?”

“Well, it wouldn’t taste so good if me or Doc had made it.  Apparently, Isom has cooked for your uncle for years and has been taking care of things around here since Solomon Pierce died.“  Matt wiped a drop of broth from the corner of her mouth with the napkin.  “Otherwise, who would’ve kept the chickens alive so we could have this delicious soup?”

She coughed and then cleared her throat.  “Hadn’t thought of it that way.”

Matt explained, “Pierce provided for Isom’s pay for a while in his will, but it’ll be up to you whether you keep him on or not.”

“Oh…”  Kitty’s voice was concerned.  “You mean if I sell the ranch he might be out of a job?”

“I suppose…”

“Oh no, Matt…”

“Now, Kitty, don’t you worry about that right now.”  He hurriedly spooned another bite into her mouth before she could continue.  “You just need to eat and get some more rest.  I think Doc will be bringing your medicine pretty soon, too.”

Kitty placed a gentle hand on his arm.  “I don’t think I can eat anymore, Matt.”

“But you’ve hardly eaten anything.”

“I wasn’t hungry to begin with, really.”  Her tired eyes fluttered closed for a moment.  “I just ate so Doc wouldn’t fuss at me.”

“Just take two more bites.”  He gave her a beseeching look.  “That’s what you told me, remember?”

She gave a tiny sigh.  “Yes, my words are coming back to haunt me.”  But she dutifully opened up for two last bites.  “It is very good though, Matt.  Please tell Isom Dewey I said ‘thank you very much.’” 

“I will…  Hey, haven’t you noticed anything?”  He turned his head to one side, then the other, for her to admire his shaving job. 

“Yes, I most certainly did, Marshal.  What smooth cheeks you have, granny...”

Matt’s answer was a deep rumble that gave her gooseflesh.  “All the better to kiss you with, my dear…”

She gave a small, gravelly giggle as Matt hurriedly put her napkin over the soup bowl and lay the tray on the bedside table.  He leaned toward her just as Doc walked in with a medicine bottle full of some foul-looking substance.

Matt gave a small, disappointed sigh and Kitty eyed the medicine askance as she whispered hoarsely, “Aw, Doc…”

Doc remonstrated, “Now is that any way to greet your faithful physician?”

Matt stood and grabbed the tray to whisk it away to the kitchen before Doc peeked at how much Kitty had eaten.

Looking a little chagrined, she reached her hands toward him.  Doc took them and sat in Matt’s abandoned place beside her on the bed.   She said in a small, teasing voice, “I’m sorry, Doc.  I’m always glad to see you, you know that.”

“Did you eat your dinner, young lady?”  Doc looked over his shoulder at Matt who was walking out the door with the tray toward the kitchen.  “Did she eat?” Doc called.

Matt raised his voice in response, “Yep, Doc, she did.” 

“Good girl.”  Doc patted her hand.  “You’ve got to eat to get your strength back.  That Isom is a purty darn good cook, isn’t he?”

“Yes, Doc.  And you’re a pretty darn good doctor, too.”

Doc raised his bushy eyebrows in surprise. 

Squeezing his hands, she continued, “And a good friend.”  She pulled him toward her for a quick peck on the cheek.  “Thank you for coming all the way from Dodge just to take care of me.”

Doc’s face turned pink.  “Aw, shucks, Kitty.  Just doin’ m’job.”

“I know, I know.”  She pulled one hand to her lips and kissed his knuckles.  “But you don’t fool me one bit, you old softie.”

He tried unsuccessfully to smother a smile.  “So, uh…”  Doc tugged at his ear.  “How are things goin’ between you and the marshal lately?”

Kitty’s lips twisted wryly as she acknowledged, “So, you noticed, huh?”

“Who me?” Doc’s hand went to his chest in mock surprise, then he replied pithily, “It was hard not to.”

It was Kitty’s turn to blush. 

Doc’s face turned serious.  “Young lady, you just let me know if he doesn’t treat you right, you hear me?”

“Oh, Doc, it’ll be alright.”  She smiled a bit shyly.  “Matt’s a good man.”

“I know he is, but I’m just worried about you.”  Doc patted her arm.  “Gettin’ hurt.  You’re all alone in this world, Kitty.  You don’t have anybody to look after you the way a woman should.”

“No I’m not, Doc.”

He looked at her questioningly.

“I’m not alone.  I got you.”

She noticed his eyes misting with tears at her words and she added, “And Matt.”  She grabbed his hands and held them tightly.  “I love ‘im, Doc.”

Doc nodded and looked away.  “I know you do.  Well, my offer still stands, honey.  If he doesn’t treat you right, you just let me know.  I may be old, but I still got some fight left in me.”  His eyes twinkled at her and she sat up slowly to wrap her arms around his neck and squeeze him as tightly as her frail body would allow.

tbc

ljljljljlj

No comments:

Post a Comment