Friday, September 28, 2012

Set Fire to the Rain 2, Ch. 8 "Sick Kitty"


This fanfiction is intended for mature readers due to the vivid depiction of a consensual adult relationship.  The setting is First Season, post-The Preacher.  I am not a doctor, and none of the medical information used in this chapter is accurate or remotely sensible.  But I assure you I did it all for the sake of good drama.  Oh, and don’t get me started on the geographical inaccuracies….

ljljljljlj

Matt anxiously shook the limp form of the unconscious doctor, but there was no response beyond his maddening snoring.  “Dammit, he’s passed out!” Matt exclaimed in disgust as he retrieved the empty laudanum bottle, gingerly sniffing it.

Ruefully, Ware shook his head.  “I was afraid something like this would happen.  Crandall’s not very reliable, unfortunately.  I’m sorry, Dillon.  I don’t know what to tell you.”

“Kitty’s burning up with fever!” Matt ran a hand through his hair worriedly and glanced back at Kitty’s perspiring face, her body shivering with chills beneath the bedclothes.  “What am I going to do?  Is there another doctor in town?”  Matt began noisily rifling through cabinets and bureaus around the room searching for extra blankets.

“No, I’m afraid there isn’t,” Ware jammed his hands helplessly in his pockets.  “Probably the closest doctor is in…”

“Dodge,” Matt finished for him, puffing out a discouraged sigh.  “But the telegraph wires are down because of the flood.  It would take a day to ride to Dodge for Doc and another day to get him back here.”  Matt lowered his voice, “Kitty could die by then.”  He spread a warm quilt over Kitty and tucked it snugly around her.

“Tell you what.  I’ll check at the telegraph office to see if the wires have been repaired.  You write down what you want sent.  If the wires are still down, I’ll ride to Dodge and get your doctor.”

Matt looked at him hard.  “You sure, Ware?”

“Absolutely,” Ware answered with conviction.  “You need to stay here and take care of Miss Russell.  I’ll be glad to help out in any way I can.”

“I appreciate it, Sheriff.”  Matt hurried to Dr. Crandall’s desk and rummaged until he located a scrap of paper and a pencil, hastily scratching out a note, “TO DR GALEN ADAMS DODGE CITY STOP KITTY SICK WITH FEVER STOP COME TO CIMARRON IMMEDIATELY STOP SIGNED MATT DILLON”  Matt folded the paper and handed it to Ware.  “I sure hope Western Union’s lines are back up.  The sooner we get word to Doc, the sooner we can get him here.”  The quick glance he gave the sheriff was pleading.  “Please hurry, Ware.”  

The sheriff looked into Dillon’s agitated features.  “I’ll take care of it right away, Marshal.  I know the young lady must mean a lot to you.”

Matt averted his eyes self-consciously as Ware quickly headed out the door.  Then Matt started looking for a pan to put some cool water in and a cloth to bathe Kitty’s fevered skin.  It would be a long wait for Doc.

ljljljljlj

Doc was busy making placebos for old Mrs. Elma Prudlin who lived down by Silver Creek.  In the ten years he’d known Mrs. Prudlin, he’d never seen a healthier specimen of a human being.  But she was a supreme hypochondriac of the highest order.  It was easier just to give her foolin’ pills than to argue with her about her nonexistent symptoms.   Just then, someone banged on his door urgently. 

Doc called, “Come in!”  Under his breath he muttered irritably, “…before you tear my dadblamed door down…”

Chester burst through the door and stood with his hand on his chest, catching his breath. 

Doc shook his head.  “Chester, I might have known it was you.  What on earth…?”

“Doc, it’s Miss Kitty...” Chester exclaimed excitedly.

Doc’s ears perked up at Kitty’s name.  “What is it?” he worriedly asked.

“Well, I just got this here.”  Chester held out a telegram.  “Barney down to the telegraph office asked me t’ bring it to ya’ quick.”

Doc adjusted his glasses on his nose and read the message.  His eyes widened and his face paled a bit.  “Good heavens…” he murmured.  “Kitty must be awful sick if Matt is askin’ for help.”

Chester quickly nodded, pressing his lips in a tight, worried line.  “Yep, that’s what I figgered, Doc.  You want me t’ git yer horse from Moss Grimmick’s?”

Doc’s eyes narrowed as he scrubbed at his mustache.  “I’d appreciate that, Chester.”  He grabbed his black medical bag and began hurriedly packing supplies.  “And I want you to send a telegram to Matt for me.  I’ll write down what I want you to send…”

“Sure thing, Doc.  Anything else I kin do, you jes lemme know.”

Doc grunted wordlessly as he grabbed a stubby pencil and a slip of paper and urgently began scrawling.

ljljljljlj

Drowning, desperately struggling for air.  Gasping, panting for breath that refuses to come.  Coughing until there’s nothing but an awful ache left in my lungs.  It feels like something terribly heavy is sitting on my chest…  Matt, please get it off me.  Can’t breathe…  Matt? Where are you?

“I’m here, Kitty.  You’re okay.  Just breathe slowly.  That’s it.  You’ve sweated through your nightgown and sheets.  Let’s get this off you.  Raise your arms for me."

Crisp, dry sheets on hot, hurting skin.  Cool cloth against feverish face.  Eyes burning, throat scorched, chest leaden.  I am chilled to the bone.  Shaking and shivering and can’t stop.  Matt lays another blanket on top of me and pulls it up to my chin.  Matt will take care of me.  I feel myself sinking into the bed, so, so heavy, and then my world darkens…

“Kitty, wake up and take this for me.  Doc wired me that quinine will help bring your fever down.  I know it tastes bad…  Good girl.  Now lie back and rest…  Here, let me cover you back up.  Are you warm?  Do you need another blanket?  I promise Doc will be here soon.  He’s on his way, honey, just hold on...”

Cool, wet rag strokes my neck, my chest, my arms, my hands.  Matt’s voice rumbles comforting words low in my ear.  He never leaves.  He stays with me.  He knows I need him.  I wish I could stop coughing.  I wish I could breathe.  Why won’t this end?  Matt, will you hold my hand?  Peaceful blackness slips over me yet again, a dark fog that pulls me down and down and won’t let me go...  But through it all Matt’s strong fingers lace in mine and hold on…

ljljljljlj

“Young lady, I need you to drink this for me.”

Doc.  His strong arm encircles my shoulders, supporting me.  I cough at the bitter taste.  He gently pats my back.  “Kitty, let’s prop you up on some pillows so maybe you can breathe a little better.”  I can feel Doc’s cold stethoscope on my chest.  He listens and listens some more.  I hear his voice.  Then Matt’s.  Whispering…  He says something about my heart…  And digitalis...  What is that?  My chest hurts.

When I cough, there is a sharp knife stabbing hatefully inside me.  Doc holds me again and touches my wrist with his fingers.  “Easy, honey.  Now I need you to drink this down, too.  I know it tastes bad, but you’ve got to take it to get better.”

More vile medicine burns a fiery path down my raw throat.  It chokes me and I don’t think I can keep it down. 

Matt carefully holds a glass of water to my lips and whispers soothingly as I try to swallow it.  I love him so.  He takes such good care of me.  I don’t understand why he’s so good to me.  Then blackness engulfs my world once more…

Sam Keeler eerily looms over Matt’s battered body, ugly fist clenched, eager to punch him again.  Jagged streaks of lightening reveal Matt’s bruised and bloodied face to my horrified gaze, one eye swollen shut as he looks to me in excruciating pain.  I throw myself across Matt’s chest before Keeler can strike, but he grabs me with one beefy hand and hurls me to the ground like a rag doll into the mud, nearly knocking the wind out of me.  “Kitty,” Matt groans.  “Help me… Help me…  Please…”   He beseechingly reaches out to me, thunder rolling in my ears, and calls my name again as Keeler smashes his hammy fist into Matt’s swollen eye.  Suddenly, I look down and there is a rifle in my hands, water streaming down the barrel.  I see my finger pulling the trigger...  A dead man falls at my feet…  Empty eyes staring at me… 

“Shhhh….  It’s okay, honey, it’s okay…  You’re just having another bad dream.”  Matt is holding me to his chest, stroking my damp hair and soothingly rubbing my perspiring back.  “You’re soaking wet again.”  He calls over his shoulder.  “Doc, I need some more dry sheets.”

Matt bathes me with a clean, damp cloth and tells me that Sam Keeler is gone forever.  He can’t bother us ever again.  I feel the cool air brush sweetly over my heated skin as they change the bedding I’ve sweated through.  Matt lightly caresses my face as my glassy eyes wearily drift closed.  I last thing I hear is Matt murmuring to Doc about a black night on the prairie, a night I’ll never forget as long as I live…

tbc

ljljljljlj







No comments:

Post a Comment