Monday, May 28, 2012

Revelation in the Light of Day, Chapter 5, "No Light"


This story is intended for mature audiences due to language, violence, and the vivid depiction of a consensual adult relationship. 

Matt kicked Doc’s door open with one foot and backed into the office carrying Kitty in his arms.  “Doc!” he shouted.  “Doc, we need you!”

Doc hurried out of his bedroom in his nightshirt, rubbing sleep from his eyes.  “What in tarnation?  Oh, my heavens…” he said when he caught sight of Kitty in her torn dress.  Matt tried to set her on Doc’s examining table, but she refused to let go of him.  He finally sat down with her in his lap as shuddering sobs shook her body, her face buried in his neck. 

“Shhh…” Matt soothed, rubbing her back and holding her closely. 

Doc’s face paled; he’d never seen Kitty so upset before.  He whispered bleakly, “What’s happened to her?”

Matt’s mouth formed a grim line and his eyes grew hard.  He could hardly bring himself to utter the words, “She was attacked behind the saloon.  A bunch of rowdy cowhands.  I killed two of ‘em, Doc.  Hurt some more pretty bad…”  His voice drifted off and his blood turned to ice water in his veins at the hateful memory of finding Kitty at the mercy of those depraved men.

“How badly?  Did they…?” Doc’s voice broke and he touched Kitty’s shoulder lightly.  “Kitty, honey, talk to me.  What did those men do to you?  Kitty?”

She pulled away from Matt just enough to look up at Doc with tear-stained eyes.  “What?” she asked.  She seemed like a lost little girl, and Doc’s heart twisted in his chest.

“What did they do to you, honey?  You have to tell me so that I can help you.”

“It…”  Kitty’s breath came in hiccups and her speech was halting.  “It’s not…what you…think, Doc.”  She clutched at Matt’s shirt with her fists as she continued, “Matt…got there in time.  They just…knocked me around…a little is all.”  Doc caught a glance between the two of them that made him think there might be something more to the story, but he didn’t press.  Kitty fought to control her panicked breathing, and Matt dug his handkerchief out of his pocket, tenderly wiping the tears from her flushed face.

Doc replied instead, “Well, I can see that you got a little banged up, young lady.  Your lip is bleeding for one thing.  Let me clean that up for you.”  Doc’s kind, reassuring words made her eyes fill with tears anew. 

When he turned to his medical supplies, Kitty placed a hand on Matt’s cheek, searching his face, whispering, inexplicably, “I’m so sorry, Matt.  I’m so sorry.” 

Matt’s expression was puzzled as he asked, “For what, honey?  What are you sorry for?”

Suddenly Festus scurried through the door, wide-eyed and clearly agitated.  “Everthing went fine, Matthew.  The bodies was carried over ta’ Percy’s, and I got ma’ gun back…”

“Uh, Festus…” Matt interrupted, “Why don’t we talk about this later?”  His eyes glanced pointedly at Kitty, still curled in his lap, still shaking like a leaf. 

Kitty, suddenly conscious of Festus in the room, attempted to pull her torn dress together as Doc tended the cut on her mouth.  

“I’m sorry, Miss Kitty.” Festus’s eyes grew soft and he took a small, tentative step toward her, hat in hand.  “I hope those no-good varmints didn’t hurt ya’ too bad…”  His voice drifted off self-consciously and he cleared his throat.  “But they sure got what was a’comin’ to ‘em, you can bet yer bottom dollar.”  He looked at Miss Kitty shaking in Matthew’s lap with her tear-streaked, swollen face, and his eyes narrowed thoughtfully.  “Yep, if ya’ ask me, they sure got their due…”

Doc added quietly, “Kitty, I want you to go back in my bedroom and put on one of my shirts until we can get you some more clothes.” 

Kitty shook her head and started to protest.  “But I…”

“No, now don’t argue with me.  I’m going to examine you and make sure you’re alright, and then I’m going to give you a sedative to calm you down and help you sleep.”

“But, Doc…”

“No ‘buts,’ young lady.  You are going to sleep right here tonight so I can keep an eye on you.”

Matt murmured, “You heard the doc, sweetheart.” 

Before she could argue, Matt hugged her feverish body close and brushed her tumbled curls off her face with gentle fingers.  She made as if to stand up, but Matt held her tightly. 

Kitty asserted in a still quavering voice, “I’m alright, Matt, honest.  I can…”  

He kissed her forehead and stood, insistently carrying her into Doc’s bedroom.  Doc went to find her a clean shirt as Festus disconcertedly shook his head.  He had a feeling this was going to be a long night.

tbc

ljljljljlj

No comments:

Post a Comment