Sunday, May 27, 2012

Revelation in the Light of Day, Chapter 1 "Spitfire"


This story is intended for mature audiences due to language, violence, and the vivid depiction of a consensual adult relationship. 

“No Light, No Light”

No light, no light in your bright blue eyes
I never knew daylight could be so violent
A revelation in the light of day
You can't choose what stays and what fades away
And I'd do anything to make you stay

Heaven help me; I need to make it right
You want a revelation; You want to get it right
But it's a conversation I just can't have tonight

You want a revelation; Some kind of resolution
You are the revelation; Tell me what you want me to say
But would you leave me if I told you what I've done
And would you leave me if I told you what I've become

Florence and the Machine, Ceremonials c2011

ljljljljlj

“I thought I told you ‘no’, cowboy.”  Kitty Russell’s blue eyes flashed, her red-headed temper plenty riled up, as she firmly pulled her arm from the arrogant young trail hand’s unrelenting grip. 

“Come on, pretty lady, let’s be friends.  I just wanna get to know you better.”  The young buck smirked as his eyes slowly roamed over her black silk-clad figure while his friends crowded around, too close for comfort.  They’d all been drinking heavily since early evening, and it was apparently high time for Kitty to show them the exit.

It was July 3, Friday night, and the Long Branch had been filled to capacity all day long with boozing, gambling, shouting, carousing men.  There’d been three fistfights, knives pulled at a poker game, and a big ruckus started by an angry rancher’s wife.  Now it was nearly closing time, and Kitty had had about all she could take.  The last straw was this young jackass thinking he could make some time with her. 

She coaxed, “Listen, boys, it’s late.  You wanna be rested up for the fireworks tomorrow night, don’t you?  I think it’s about time for you to hit the dusty trail…”

“Aw, it’s way too early to leave.”  The brazen trail hand grabbed her around the waist and pulled her flush against him.  “This party’s just gettin’ started, sweet thing.” 

She protested, “Sorry, but this particular party was over before it began…will you just please let me go?”  Kitty pushed against his chest while he grinned lasciviously down at her.  The cold look in his black eyes sent a chill down her spine.

One of his friends chortled, “Lester, best be careful.  This one’s a spitfire.”

Sam noticed her predicament as he came out of the back office and was instantly at her side.  “You boys get on outta here now.  It’s time for you to go on back to your room and sleep it off.” 

“We don’t need you to tell us our bedtime, old man,” a large, heavy-set hand complained menacingly as he set his empty whiskey glass on the bar.

Lester trailed a calloused finger down Kitty’s throat and murmured drunkenly, “Clyde, don’t you wanna little piece of this…”

“You boys hold it right there.”  A familiar gravelly voice rang out from the saloon door.  Kitty released a small sigh of relief when she looked up to see Matt standing watchfully, rapidly taking in the scene before him.  His eyes snapped with anger at the sight of the young cowhand with Kitty Russell in his clutches.  “Get your hands off her.

Lester smirked, “Marshal, why do you care what we do with this…”

Matt was across the floor in three giant strides.  Clyde stepped in front of the marshal, who buffaloed him before he knew what’d hit him.  Matt threw a solid right to Lester’s jaw.  Both trail hands hit the floor, moaning. 

Matt jerked a thumb at them and addressed the rest of the group, “Get your friends out of here.  Head on back to camp if you know what’s good for you, and I don’t wanna see you back in town again.  Understood?”

The five remaining men helped their injured friends up, supporting them as they staggered toward the door.  Lester held his jaw and hissed over his shoulder, “You’ll be sorry, godammit.  Just you wait…”

His icy tone made the hair on the back of Kitty’s neck stand on end.  Matt’s eyes narrowed as he stood beside her and glared at Lester.   “Get outta my sight, you sorry son-of-a-bitch, before I lock you up.”

“Come on…” Clyde glowered and spit on the floor, “Let’s get outta’ here.”

When they were safely out the door, Kitty turned to the marshal, a grim look on her face.  “Thanks, Matt.  Those boys got a little outta’ hand.”

“I’ll say.”  He pushed his hat back and shook his head.   “You closin’ this place up?”

“Soon.”

He looked her in the eye and asked quietly, “You okay?”

“Sure, I’m okay, Matt.”  She gave him a small appreciative smile.  “But thanks for askin’.”

“I’ve gotta make my rounds.”  He sidled closer and murmured in her ear, “Am I invited back for a nightcap?”

She answered under her breath, “I’ll be waiting for you.”

tbc

ljljljljlj

No comments:

Post a Comment