Sunday, March 4, 2012

Possession 2: Chapter 6, "Sleepy Kitty with the Key to My Heart"

This chapter contains a smattering of plot from the Gunsmoke episode Daddy-O, Season 2 (June 1, 1957) written by John Meston. 

“Kitty?”

“Mmm…?”

“Kitty?  I’m sorry…  Wake up, honey…”

Kitty rubbed her eyes drowsily so that she could just make out Matt’s form leaning over her bed in the moonlit room.  “Wh…what is it, Matt?  Is something wrong?”

“I told you I’d be back later to discuss the problem with your father…”  He cleared his throat.  “Here I am…”  Matt sighed.  “I’m really sorry it’s so late, but after I got back from the Bugg farm, there was a brawl out back of the Lady Gay, and Chester and I had to take a whole bunch of cowhands and two saloon girls to the jail.  It was a mess, I’ll tell you…” 

She giggled groggily, and he caressed her sleep-flushed cheek.  “Gosh, I’m sorry, honey, but I’m here now…  And why in heaven’s name is your door still not locked?!”  He jerked his thumb at the door.  “I just waltzed right in here!”

Kitty smiled sleepily at him, “It’s not locked because I was waiting for you, silly man.”  She gave an enormous yawn.  “Did Bill let you into the saloon?”

“Yeah…  Hey, have you ever thought about putting in an outside entrance to this room?  Maybe some stairs leading down to the back alley?  So you don’t have to be so obvious and go through the public room to…to get here…I mean…”

Beaming happily and raking tousled curls out of her eyes, she said, “I think that’s a fine idea, Matthew Dillon.”  She sat up and patted the bedside.  “I’m just pleased you’re back.”

Matt thought she looked so young and sweet, wearing only a loose, thin, white cotton shift with her hair in a messy braid over one shoulder.  A man could get used to this.  He sat down with a tired sigh, and she kneeled on the bed behind him, taking off his hat and depositing it on the bedpost.  She helped him remove his boots and slide them under the bed, then shrug off his vest and shirt, tossing them on a chair.  The pants were the last to go. 

She snuggled up behind him, her body still warm from the bedclothes, and nestled her chin on his shoulder.  She raked her nails slowly back and forth across his back, causing an involuntary shudder throughout his aching muscles.  “Oh, Kitty… “

“Mmm?”

“That feels good.”

“Hard night, huh?”

“Yeah…now tell me what is going to happen tomorrow.  When your father is ready to leave for New Orleans…”

“Well, I told you I wanted to give him a chance to show his true colors.  I’m going to show up for the trip with no money.  To see how he reacts.  Will you go there with me, Matt?  I don’t know what to expect…”

“Sure, I’ll go with you, Kitty.  You think you have a pretty good idea what he’ll do?”

“Unfortunately, yes.  I don’t think he really wants me.  I think he only wants my money.”

“Don’t be so hard on yourself, Kitty.  Any man would be lucky to have a daughter like you.”

“He doesn’t think so.  He doesn’t think I’m a proper lady.”

“You’re all the lady I’d ever need…”

“Oh, Matt, you’re just saying that.”

“No, I’m not, honey.”

“You’re so good to me, Matt.  What did I ever do to deserve you?”  Matt could see tears shining in her eyes in the moonlight.

“Because you’re my sweet girl…”  He touched her face softly and drew her near for a kiss.  Kitty broke away long enough to wriggle her nightgown up.

Matt helped Kitty pull the shift over her head and asked, “What’s this?”  It was a key on a green ribbon tied around her neck.

“It’s yours.”

“Mine?”

“Yeah, yours, Matt.  So I can lock my door and you can still get in.  Okay?”

“Okay, honey.”  He pulled the ribbon over her head and looped it around his own neck, hanging over his heart, for safe-keeping.   

ljljljljlj

No comments:

Post a Comment